Friday, October 9, 2020

Breakfast as you travel

 I love to eat. 

That said, I believe that one of the many things I enjoy when traveling is trying out and sampling the local fare. 

While some countries will have foods in common with the U.S., each country offers it's own specialties.  

Take breakfast for instance. 

In the U.S. we typically think of eggs and bacon, or pancakes and waffles or cereal on the fly. 

In Ireland, a 'full Irish Breakfast' will be eggs, sausage, bacon, rashers, baked beans, grilled mushrooms, white and black pudding, yogurt and cereal. Irish Soda Bread which may or may not be toasted and often will have fry bread as well. 


No offense, but I have learned to do without the pudding and sausages. Not being a tomato fan I will pass on those as well. But I do LOVE the soda bread, fry bread and the bacon! 

On the continent, typically breakfast will be cold cuts, bread, cereal, fruit and pastries. 



The country with the best breakfasts, in my opinion, is Israel. There are a few rules for food in Israel. Dairy products are available at breakfast but not at dinner. Which I discovered when I was looking for cream for my coffee at night. Lots of fresh cheese to cut off the block, bread, rolls, pastries, varieties of olives and probably my favorite was warm cheesecake.....YUM!


Be sure that these are generalizations of various types of food you will encounter as you travel. Just as grits are a typical Southern food and cheese curds a 'Wisconsin' food, you will find all sorts of variations across the regions as  you travel. Take the time to indulge and sample as you go. You won't go amiss. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Destination: Aruba

Discover the Caribbean charm of Aruba, a distinctive jewel nestled amidst the sapphire splendor of the azure waters. Drawn by the allure of ...